By A. C. Greene
Today, greater than a century and a 3rd after the 1st Butterfield coaches rolled, we're demanding positioned to visualize how remarkable, how worried was once the particular passage alongside the path. In 1858 Waterman Lily Ormsby Jr., gave the 1st account of touring at the Butterfield Overland Mail trainer as a reporter for the hot York bring in on a visit from Missouri to San Francisco. within the Nineteen Thirties Roscoe P. and Margaret B. Conkling drove the course back of their 1930 Buick and released 3 volumes in their learn. Now A. C. and Judy Greene have made a Nineties model of the trip of their personal celerity wagon” a Lincoln Mark VII.
This is the 1st ebook in additional than fifty five years to track the particular Butterfield path in the course of the middle of the Southwest. Incorporating newly-found files, and alterations within the panorama and its heritage, it's an up to date tale of the Butterfield operation and the folks and occasions that experience happened alongside the route.
Read or Download 900 Miles on the Butterfield Trail PDF
Similar west books
Unconquerable insurgent is an exam of Hawaiian historical past from 1880-1904 and the political occupation of part-Hawaiian, Robert W. Wilcox.
Fifty eight of the Region's most sensible journeys! no matter if you are a neighborhood searching for a protracted weekend get away, a customer seeking to discover otherwise you easily want a few principles whilst friends and family come to go to, Lonely Planet's journeys sequence bargains the easiest itineraries - and makes it effortless to devise the proper journey again and again.
Worauf gründen fortbestehende Missverständnisse zwischen Ost- und Westdeutschen? Basierend auf der erfolgreichen "Erlebnisgesellschaft" von Gerhard Schulze zeigt das Buch Übereinstimmungen und Differenzen in der Lebenswelt Ost und West und leistet so einen Beitrag zur Erklärung des noch immer augenfälligen Grabens zwischen neuen und alten Bundesländern.
- The Martyrs of Columbine: Faith and The Politics of Tragedy
- Blackfeet and Buffalo: Memories of Life Among the Indians
- Poet be like God: Jack Spicer and the San Francisco renaissance
- Tales from the Journey of the Dead: Ten Thousand Years on an American Desert
Additional resources for 900 Miles on the Butterfield Trail
For a more detailed (and hilarious) description than this one of the pains and perils of western stagecoach travel see Six Horses. 43. Foster-Harris, The Look of the Old West (New York: Viking Press, 1955), 17 2 . 44· Tompkins, 14 0 . 45. "The fastidious [Raphael] Pumpelly's trip lon the Butterfield Overland route I was made all the more unpleasant by the fact that a frontier family shared his scat and that across from him. The man was a 'border bully,' the woman dipped snuff. '" Marilyn McAdams Sibley, Travelers in Texas 1761-1860 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967), 31.
Foster-Harris, The Look of the Old West (New York: Viking Press, 1955), 17 2 . 44· Tompkins, 14 0 . 45. "The fastidious [Raphael] Pumpelly's trip lon the Butterfield Overland route I was made all the more unpleasant by the fact that a frontier family shared his scat and that across from him. The man was a 'border bully,' the woman dipped snuff. '" Marilyn McAdams Sibley, Travelers in Texas 1761-1860 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967), 31. 46. Displayed in Wells, Fargo Bank history room in San Francisco.
12. Conkling, Vol. I, "5. 13. Conkling, Vol. I, 121. 14· Ormsby, 134· 15. W. Turrentine Jackson, "A New Look at Wells Fargo, Stagecoaches and the Pony Express," California Historical Society Quarterly, December 1966, 295-300. 16. Ralph Moody, Stagecoach West (New York: Thomas Y. Crowell, 1967), 79· 17. Moody, 108. 18. Conkling, Vol. I, 37. 19· Ormsby, 139· 20. Ormsby, 168. 21. Conkling, Vol. I, 216. 22. Later in the nineteenth century there was a tendency to refer to all heavy stages as "Concord coaches," so that it became a style of coach rather than a trademarked name.